POLICY FOR THOSE CONVICTED OF SEXUAL OFFENSES AGAINST A MINOR AND ATTENDANCE AGREEMENT
CrossWalk Community Church exists to bring hope and healing to the world in the same way as Jesus: through relationship with God. We want CrossWalk to be a safe place for everyone who attends. In order for CrossWalk to be a safe place for all to attend, our Board of Stewards believed it necessary to adopt an official policy regarding those on the registered list of sexual offenders (henceforth referred to as simply “offenders”) who desire to attend our services or join CrossWalk.
Definition of Terms
In the following statement of conditions, these terms shall have the assigned meanings:
· Service(s): includes any gathered event of CrossWalk Community Church, whether held at a facility owned by CrossWalk or at an offsite location.
· Small group: includes any meeting of a CrossWalk small group under the authority and leadership of CrossWalk, whether in a home, on campus, or other location.
· Activities: includes services, small groups, service events, retreats, conferences, or any other function sponsored by CrossWalk, regardless of the event location.
· Supervising Pastor: An approved person who is designated to oversee the fulfillment of this contract with a given offender in fellowship with CrossWalk.
· Monitor: an approved delegate of the Supervising Pastor who monitors an offender attending a CrossWalk service or activity, and who monitors the offender’s restroom use while onsite.
· Child or children: any person under the age of 18 years old.
1. Any registered offender is expected to self-disclose his or her status as a registered offender (including his/her level designation) to a CrossWalk pastor prior to attending any CrossWalk services or activities. Whether through disclosure or discovery, as soon as the registered status of an offender is realized the protocols of this policy will be expected to be honored or the offender may not attend any CrossWalk services or activities.
2. An offender as described in California Law may not attend any CrossWalk services or activities, including small groups, until receiving written permission to attend by a Supervising Pastor, which will include signing the “Attendance Contract for Sex Offenders.”
3. Offenders are prohibited from attending CrossWalk services and / or activities under any of the following circumstances:
a. If any victim of the offender is a member of CrossWalk or known to regularly attend CrossWalk activities.
b. If the offender has a history of not following established contract agreements at other churches.
c. If the offender does not agree to the conditions for fellowship at CrossWalk.
d. If the offender does not comply with the conditions for fellowship at CrossWalk.
4. Participation at CrossWalk will be based in part on risk assessment provided by trained professionals (specialized counselors and probation officers). As a general rule, if the offense included any form of physical activity with a minor, the offender will be prohibited from attending CrossWalk services and activities. There are very few exceptions to this rule. Tier Two and Tier Three offenders are considered to have a moderate to high risk of re-offending. Given this heightened risk, Tier Two and Tier Three offenders are prohibited from attending CrossWalk services and activities. Individuals with these designations who committed physical offenses are encouraged to attend tailored ministries where they can be known and supervised (contact a CrossWalk pastor for more information).
5. Any individual that has at any time registered as an offender is prohibited from entering into CrossWalk children’s ministry areas or participating as part of CrossWalk’s children ministry. This prohibition continues to exist regardless of whether the offender status is removed. This prohibition is non-negotiable.
6. An offender may not attend any children- or youth-oriented services or activities. However, the offender is allowed to attend services and activities where children may be present, such as worship services, and is allowed to be in the church lobby or sanctuary, for example, so long as other adults are present including their assigned monitor.
7. If an individual ceases to be a registered offender, a copy of the “Certificate and Order of Discharge,” or a similarly equivalent court document, must be submitted to the individual’s Supervising Pastor to be included in the offender’s file. At that time, an evaluation will be conducted to determine if and what continuing restrictions will remain in place.
ATTENDANCE CONTRACT FOR SEX OFFENDERS
Offenders must commit to the following conditions for fellowship at CrossWalk Community Church.
I agree to the following conditions:
1. I will be assigned a CrossWalk Supervising Pastor who will evaluate and monitor my access to CrossWalk services and activities. I will meet regularly with my Supervising Pastor to evaluate and monitor my access to CrossWalk services and activities. The Supervising Pastor will determine how often we will meet.
2. I will meet with the court ordered Community Corrections Officer (CCO), or other similar officer, as prescribed.
3. I will meet with a certified sex offender treatment therapist, if required by my CCO or Supervising Pastor without complaint.
4. I will provide the treatment therapist’s name and phone number and the CCO’s name and phone number to my Supervising Pastor.
5. I will get approval by the court ordered CCO, therapist, social worker, and CrossWalk Supervising Pastor to attend CrossWalk. A copy of a signed authorization from each of these providers must be provided to your Supervising Pastor.
6. I agree to have my picture, name, offense level, and a copy of this signed contract emailed to all CrossWalk pastors, Stewards, and staff before attending a CrossWalk service or activity.
7. I agree to have my picture, name, offense level, and a copy of this signed contract included in the records of the security teams at CrossWalk, accessible to all staff and volunteer security workers.
8. I will not attend any CrossWalk services or activities (nor be present on the property of CrossWalk or off-property gathering location) without my Supervising Pastor or an approved monitor. My Supervising Pastor must approve my monitor, in his sole and absolute discretion. If my Supervising Pastor or approved monitor are not available, I will not attend any CrossWalk services or activities (nor will I be present on the property of CrossWalk or off-property gathering location) at any time.
9. Immediately upon my arrival at a CrossWalk service, I will register my attendance with my Supervising Pastor. I will wait there until my Supervising Guardian or monitor is able to sign in with me, acknowledging that I am on location. If my Supervising Guardian or monitor cannot be located, I will sign out, indicating the time of my departure, and promptly leave CROSSWALK COMMUNITY CHURCH premises. I must receive acknowledgement of my presence from my Supervising Pastor if I wish to remain on site and participate in an approved CrossWalk activity.
10. I will not serve in any role in a CrossWalk ministry without prior approval from my Supervising Pastor.
11. I acknowledge and agree that all children and student areas are off limits at all times, even if my own children are attending CrossWalk and are present and participating in CrossWalk children or student’s ministry or activities. In that case, I will not walk my own children back into CrossWalk children’s ministry area, but will make other arrangements for them, such as having a children’s ministry leader walk them to and from the children’s ministry area for me. I will not supervise any children’s activities nor enter a designated children’s area. I will not serve in CrossWalk children or youth ministries.
12. I will not attend a CrossWalk small group where children are present, regardless of the location of the small group meeting.
13. I will not visit the home of a CrossWalk family where children are present, without the parent knowing my history and offense level and giving permission for my entry into their home.
14. I will promptly leave any area on CrossWalk property where children are present with the exception of a populated church lobby, sanctuary, or area where three or more adults are present.
15. I will not have any physical contact with a child at CrossWalk, including, without limitation, sitting next to a child other than my own, holding a child on my lap, or being hugged or kissed by a child at CrossWalk. If a child other than my own approaches me to talk, I will acknowledge him or her and promptly leave the area. I will report this to my Supervising Pastor or monitor before leaving CrossWalk premises.
16. I will only use the bathrooms after my Supervising Pastor or approved monitor has entered and found no children in the bathroom. My Supervising Pastor or monitor will monitor the door while I use the facility.
17. I understand that my Supervising Pastor will retain records of our meetings, which will be available to the offender’s therapist, CCO, and court at their request.
18. I understand the above conditions. I submit to these conditions and wish to attend CrossWalk Community Church. I submit to my Supervising Pastor at CrossWalk. I accept that if I break any of the above conditions, I will no longer be allowed to be present at any CrossWalk location or activity. CrossWalk pastors, stewards, staff, monitors, small group leaders, and CrossWalk members are released from any legal responsibility or liability for disclosure of the above information to the extent indicated and authorized herein.
Offender Name, Signature, and Date Supervising Pastor Name, Signature, and Date
Offender Contact Information (Phone Number, Email, Address)
SUPERVISING PASTOR FILE COVER FORM
Name of Registered Offender:
Address: City, State, Zip: ______________________
Home Phone Number:
Work Phone Number:
Cell Phone Number:
Name of Supervising Pastor:
Approved CrossWalk Monitors:
Checklist of Obligations by Offender:
o Signed Attendance Contract for Registered Sex Offenders
o Placed in case file of CrossWalk Supervising Guardian with other records and copy of this document provided to:
o The Offender
o The Community Corrections Officer
o The Sex Offender Therapist
o Provided contact information for their Community Corrections Officer
o Obtained a document indicating the awareness of and permission for this individual attending CrossWalk Community Church
o Signed a Release of Information to Speak with Their Sex Offender Therapist
o Obtained a document indicating the awareness of and permission for this individual attending CrossWalk
o Committed to Regular Meeting with Supervising Pastor
o Records of these meetings to be kept on file